P.C. Edward Burcham

I have extensive experience in the Environmental, Health & Safety (EHS) area, having worked over three decades for a Fortune 50 company.

My work in the EHS area has included auditing for legal compliance and program compliance.  I have worked globally, conducting legal compliance audits in over 30 countries worldwide and conducting EHS training in Spanish, Portuguese and in other languages with the aid of translators in Latin America, Europe and Asia and defended regulatory citations in many US jurisdictions and in several countries in Latin America.

Because I enjoy helping people prevent and solve their legal problems, I have operated a private legal practice for the past 25 years, concentrating in estate planning and probate, real estate and small business transactions.  I especially love working with families to ensure they can pass their wealth along to those whom they most cherish.

I have done extensive pro bono work with Legal Aid of the Bluegrass for low income and elderly people as well as for my church.  I received a BS in Chemical Engineering from Virginia Tech and earned my JD from Salmon P. Chase College of Law. I am a member of the Kentucky and Northern Kentucky Bar Associations.


ANSWER: Every adult, including a married couple that thinks they own everything jointly, still needs to have a Will and a Durable Power of Attorney.

ANSWER: Every adult, including a married couple, needs to sign a document appointing a Health Care Surrogate to make health care decisions for them in the event such person is unconscious and/or unable to communicate their treatment wishes. Further, every adult needs to sign a Living Will Directive stating their end of life care decisions.

ANSWER: Each parent should determine what is best for each child, but giving different amounts to each child using a standard “according to their needs” requires the executor to have the wisdom of Solomon and practically guarantees court intervention.

ANSWER: In either circumstance, consult with an attorney regarding the necessity of a new Will.

ANSWER: If so, such provisions must be in your Last Will and Testament and also perhaps in a Trust.

ANSWER: If so, and you desire to make changes, you must have a new Will prepared and signed.